Leeks and other veggies that grow in layers close to the ground can hold a lot of dirt.
This dirt can be hard to completely remove. Following these simple steps will ensure that your leeks will be grit free.
1. Slice the leeks and place in a bowl.
2. Run cold water over the leeks till the bowl is full.
3. Use your fingers or a fork to separate the pieces. This should loosen the dirt.
4. Let the water sit still for a minute so that the dirt settles to the bottom.
5. Lift the leeks out of the water and place on a plate.
6. Empty water and rinse out the bowl.
7. Place the leeks back in the bowl and repeat the above steps. Do this till the water is clean after step five.
This is Tony cleaning leeks for me. Thanks Tony!
This also works for cleaning rice. Look for small stones and bad rice in step three. Clean till the water is clear after step five.