Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Minnesota State Fair

I can't have a food blog without a mention of The Great Get-Together. For those of you that aren't in the Midwest, I'm referring to the MN State Fair.

People go to the fair for many reasons. Rides, people watching and the cute baby animals are a few. Those things are great, but I am all about the food. The theme of the fair food is anything that can be but on a stick. Which seems to only be limited by the imaginations of the fair foodies. Deep fried candy bars,alligator, beer, chicken fried bacon, they put it all on a stick! My favorite stick food is a bit more traditional, roasted corn on the cob. I also like that the cobs are recycled.

The most popular things are the All You Can Drink Milk, Martha's Cookies, Turkey To Go, Pronto Pups, and Cheese Curds. These things are long time favorites at the fair. I also love the $1 Shrimp Cocktail. (It's only a buck!)

The hardest thing is eating all of my favs and still having room to try the new creations. This year I tried the Fried Green Tomatoes. Yummy! They come with ranch dressing, but I used the salsa from the Texas food stand to dip them in.

Here are some pictures.


Here's Rebecka enjoying Fried Green Tomatoes with salsa.



The thin crispy crust is perfect surrounding the soft tart tomato.



I don't know who these guys are. I just know that that's a crazy potato chip!



Fried catfish with tarter sauce. Tony and I eat this every year. We ate it too fast to get a nice picture, but that shows how good they are! Tony might of gotten a little too much sauce.



Cheese curds with ketchup, and chocolate ice cream.



Cheese curds with kisses.



Those curds made me a little thirsty.




This is my favorite food at the fair! It's Turkey To Go, pulled turkey on a bun and you can add their Cajun seasoning and/or BBQ sauce, if you want. Oh it's so juicy! We had three of them this year.



What's the difference between a corn dog and a pronto pup? I had to ask many people that question before finding the answer. It's in the batter. A pronto pup is made with flour instead of cornmeal.

I hope to see you next year at The Great Minnesota Get-Together!!!

1 comment:

  1. I really don't get Martha's Cookies, I just don't think they are that great. One year they had deep fried cream cheese on a stick, that was the best ever!

    ReplyDelete