Friday, September 3, 2010

Farmers Market Chowder

This soup, or chowder if you will, was inspired by the veggies I found at the market. I also used some tomatoes from Christine. Thank you Christine!

Hints: I don't measure. When I do show measurements, they're approximate. EVOO is extra virgin olive oil, and I like to type s/p for salt and pepper. Now, lets cook!

EVOO
Butter
1 Red JalapeƱo - finely chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper - diced
3 Stalks Celery - finely diced
12 small Fingerling Potatoes
5-8 Cloves Garlic - chopped
Vegetable or Chicken Stock
1/2 cup Orange Lentils
6 Ears of Corn - kernels only
Heavy Cream
Half and Half
Fresh Tomatoes

Heat a large pot. Add EVOO and butter. When hot, add the 1st three ingredients and s/p. Cook till tender.
Then, add the potatoes and garlic. (I also added some spices at this point. I used Cajun seasoning, cumin and s/p.) Cover with stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat to med-med/lo and cook till the potatoes are just fork tender.
Add lentils and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
Stir in the corn, cream, and half and half (or milk if you want a thinner soup). Simmer over low heat for another 15 minutes.
Divide the diced tomatoes into the bottom of bowls. Ladle the hot soup on top of the tomatoes to warm them up with out cooking them.

This chowder is vegetarian, gluten free, and some tasty stuff!
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment