Sunday, August 29, 2010

Tomato, Swiss Chard, and Asparagus



After going out to a big breakfast this morning, and anticipating a decent Sunday dinner, I wanted something light and quick for lunch. I started by boiling about a cup of veg stock in a sauce pan with a small pad o butter (just for fun). Then, I added 1 diced tomato, 1 large roughly chopped garlic clove, and a 1/4 cup or so of chopped rainbow char stems with s/p. For extra flavor, I threw in a bay leaf and a slice of jalapeño, which I discarded before serving. After tasting for seasoning and adding a pitch of salt, I reduced the tomato mixture by half.



Then, I added a hand full of chard leafs and sliced asparagus. This cooked covered for a minute or two over low heat, till the char just wilted.



This would be nice on pasta or rice. It would also make a great vegetarian meal simply mixed with a can of warmed beans. For this lunch, I incorporated breakfast leftovers by mixing diced turkey sausage into the veggies. I served the colorful dish with reheated hash browns mixed with a little feta cheese to add a creamy element to the dish.



It took me about 20 minutes to cook this gluten free meal, not bad for a three hour cook. Tony didn't need that much time to eat it though. His plate was clean in about 2 minuets!

1 comment:

  1. 2 minutes might be a little quick, it was at least 2 minutes 15 seconds. It was yummy in my tummy!

    ReplyDelete